I hope it can be helpful ...
I've referred many clients to our professional trainers who always ask the same question: "How do I pick a personal trainer? You've got so many listed on your site and I am more confused than ever." More often than not, I also hear a lot of grousing from clients who are unhappy with their current trainer and are looking for a change. Either way, it's important to spend quality time in searching for your trainer.
I'm finally organizing my expert thoughts on this topic for your reference.
Before we start, some insider tips:
• Not all trainers are created equal! You'll want to make sure that you get a trainer that you click with, will motivate you and are comfortable with.
• Meet with and even train with several trainers before you pick THE ONE.
• Talk to other clients with trainers and get their opinions.
• Don't get a trainer that looks worse than you! (Would you get investment advice from a financial adviser who was broke?)
• Know that your body will not change in a day but over a consistent commitment to time and effort.
• • •
When looking for a personal trainer, you should consider the following:
How many years have they been professionally training?
Have they had clients with similar needs as mine? (Example: Age related, Injury/Medical history)
Credentials and Certifications
• Is the trainer professionally certified by a quality organization in the fitness field?
• Is the trainer currently certified in CPR and First Aid?
• Does the trainer have a nutrition certification?
• Depth of Knowledge: Will my training be custom-tailored to meet my fitness goals, abilities and health status?
• Coaching style
• Diligence and 100% focus on you during your session
• Variety with workouts
• Motivational skills
• Is this trainer passionate about fitness?
• Can I see this person as a role model, confidante, motivator, guide and coach?
• Are the trainers business policies reasonable and clearly stated up front in writing?
• Fee Structure
• Cancellation Policy
• Can the trainer provide the following?
• Proof of Insurance
• References to past clients
• Will this trainer help me in my quest to be a better ____? (Golfer, tennis player, you fill in the blank)
• Just as equally important as exercise, will this trainer help me with a nutrition plan to help me achieve my fitness goals?
• • •
As you can see, one ought to spend more time on this topic than time spent picking and trying on one's jeans. The more judicious you are in picking your trainer; the more successful you will be in arriving at your envisioned state of health and fitness. Good luck and good health! (by Mylena Christina)