Creatine is an ergogenic (muscle building) supplement, and numerous studies have proven its effect. "Extra creatine is therefore ergogenic, because it may help generate more power output during intense exercise."
Creatine has also been proven to increase strength, performance, and muscle mass. "In addition, long term creatine supplementation produces greater gains in strength and sprint performance and may increase lean body mass."
Other studies have proven creatine's health benefits, not only to bodybuilders or athletes, but to non-athletic and aging individuals.
Most people have no idea that creatine has such amazing health benefits as well as the obvious muscle building and energy providing one.
Believe it or not, research has shown that creatine can increase growth hormone production! Its no surprise that creatine is the most wide sold muscle building supplement in the world!
- Volumizing muscle (increasing mass).
- Improving strength.
- Increases energy (ATP levels) for activities that require short bouts of quick energy such as lifting, sprinting, and HIIT cardio.
Here are the different types, their advantages and disadvantages.
- Almost all studies conducted concerning creatine used creatine monohydrate, and reached to amazing results and conclusions.
- Most effective type of creatine yet.
- Not very soluble in water.
- Low surface area, which decreases uptake of creatine into the muscle, causing only about 1% to be absorbed into the body.
- May contain impurities if not bought from a reputable company.
- Reports of diarrhea and stomach discomfort because insoluble creatine sits in the stomach attracting water.
- Causes water bloating in some people, which is an extra layer of water under the skin.
- Some people do not respond to this type of creatine (non-responders).
- Unstable in water and should be taken immediately after dissolving it.
- Does not require a loading phase.
- Essentially the same as monohydrate but with a larger surface area and smaller molecules, so the same amazing effects of monohydrate.
- Greatly reduces unwanted monohydrate side effects such as bloating and stomach discomfort.
- More effective than monohydrate, and most monohydrate non-responders should respond to this.
- Purer than monohydrate because it goes through more processes.
- Slightly more expensive than monohydrate
- Requires a loading phase
CREATINE ETHYL ESTER (CEE):
However, the ester counteracts the charges and allows for almost 99% absorption into the body! This removes the need for a loading phase, and is THE MOST absorbent creatine by far yet!
- More effective because of increased absorption.
- All users will respond to this.
- Does not cause any of the side effects of monohydrate such as bloating or stomach discomfort.
- No loading phase or a 1 day loading phase.
- Foul taste in powder form, some users reported it tasted like battery acid! There are capsule forms, however, that eliminate this.
- Expensive compared to monohydrate and micronized.
- 1. No loading phase required because it absorbs easily.
- 2. Easy to use, just put a drop under the tongue.
- 3. Usually mixed with other vitamins and amino acids.
- Mounting scientific evidence indicates that serum is useless.
- Creatine is unstable in liquid and breaks down to creatinine if dissolved in liquid for a prolonged period of time. Creatinine is a useless substance which puts strain on the kidneys.
- Much less effective than monohydrate in aspect of increasing muscle mass, and to a lesser degree in aspect of increasing muscle strength.
DIMAXX MUSCLE CREATINE +
- More absorption.
- Better taste.
- Extremely Expensive.
- Is combined with sugar and sodium, 2 foods bodybuilders should reduce.
- Debatable whether this is actually any different than monohydrate, or whether it even gives the same results.
- Soluble and absorbent, will cause less stomach discomfort
- Requires double the dosage to be as effective as monohydrate
TRI & DI CREATINE MALATE:
- Faster recovery and less fatigue during workout.
- More water soluble and absorbent.
- Cell Volumizing effect.
- Usually very expensive because it is mixed with other chemicals.
- Health effects are unknown.
- No loading phase required.
- Less bloating and stomach discomfort.
- No studies have been carried out on this type of creatine yet.
- More energy than what monohydrate will give.
- Decrease symptoms of fatigue
- EXTREMELY expensive.
- Its effects have not been proven by studies or tests.
CREATINE COCKTAILS (MIXED WITH GLUTAMINE/NITRIC OXIDE, SUGAR... )
For example, the most famous of this effect is stacking (using at the same time) NO and creatine. They always give their users much more muscle gains than when using nitric oxide or creatine alone! So if you have the cash, and you're not worried about putting lots of supplements in your body, then this is for you!
- Cheap compared to the amount of supplements in the arsenal.
- Extremely effective as they take advantage of the synergetic effects of combining different supplements.
- Contain creatine transports and transports for the other ingredients which increase absorption. This doubles the effectiveness of these already extremely effective products.
- Uses many kinds of chemicals, not all their effects have been thoroughly studied.
- Means putting a large amount of supplements in the body.
- Drink lots of water with creatine.
- Creatine should not be taken dissolved in an acid.
- Some people do not respond to monohydrate.
- Creatine causes some people to bloat or retain water.
- Taking creatine with sugar will increase absorption, but taking creatine with sugar and protein will double that!
- Take the creatine with the protein and take the sugar after 1 hour. This will allow the insulin spike, protein spike, and creatine spike to be roughly at the same time. Insulin spikes occur roughly 30 min after ingesting the sugar, while protein and creatine tend to take about 90 minutes to be at their highest concentration in the blood stream.